Saturday, November 23, 2013

WINTER CHORES

According to the calendar the first day of winter is December 21st.  In my house, it begins when I need to wear gloves and I need to take my indoor plants back inside from the New England summer tropics.  

I don't mind the cold weather and snow, but I can't tolerate my hands being cold.  This chilling affect, for me, occurs in October.  At the first sign of the my fingers feeling the cold sensation I rummage through the drawers for my cashmere lined soft leather gloves that I had carefully selected the previous year at TJMAX. They have a great selection.  It usually takes me, roughly, 45 minutes to try on and choose the exact pair that will last me the season. 

This year proved a bit of a chore because of my summer purge when I either tossed everything in sight, boxed or put cleverly away in an appropriate place that now I can't remember due to my pending move; or senility.  Thank Christ, I found a pair. They were underneath the seat in the Murano that I was cleaning prior to it's trek to the south for my daughter's use at school to get her to/from work [the job that she never looked for]. 

Aside from scouring the house for the gloves in October I had brought my plants in from the outdoors as mentioned above.  They were brought into my 'garden' room.  So called, because one wall solely of sliding glass doors faces the deck overlooking the yard. The plants have taken over the room.  It resembles a jungle.  I even had to move a few plants so the animals can easily maneuver in/out of the doggie door.  There is just so much space in that room. Not. Plant clutter.

Just like I am running out of wall space for my paintings I am running out space for my seasonal spots for my plants. Which, by the way, are like my babies.  I have one plant that is the mother of all plants.  Actually, it is the mother of many since it is nearly 90 years old.  Its 'roots' 'stem' from my great grandmother passed to my grandfather passed to my mother.  I inherited it because I found it near death at my mother's house and swiped it to revive. Again, thank Christ, for my light green thumb because now it thrives and produces many offspring.  Most everyone in my immediate family has a plant that I have rooted for them.  I have needed to replace two plants that have fallen from grace since the plant legacy has been passed.  No reference. You know which ones you are!!!  >:(  



I am coming to terms with the fact that I may have to relinquish a few of the plants in order to continue preparing for my move forward to sell the house.  Perhaps, I will expand my plant offspring and give to a few outside of the family box.  Although, I think I may have tried that already once before and it has fallen from grace in their hands, as well, as the two aforementioned family members.  Boooooo..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment