Monday, December 2, 2013

ANOTHER GEM

The phone rang at 6:52a.m.  Time to get up.  Hurry up and get ready. How fast can you be ready and at my house to take a drive.  The weather is beautiful. The sky is blue.  Let's go.  

Just a few minutes of groaning I hopped in the shower, barely brushed by hair [if at all] and jumped into my car to start the days' journey.  The first stop was for a duly needed cafe mocha then a quick stop in Pawtucket to, once again, enjoy the fabulous sliders from Rocket Street Food [mentioned in a prior post].  A good hearty breakfast.  Aside from the burgers [Parisienne and The Vulcan] in the bag we bought mac and cheese - also a 'truck' specialty as well as a gift from Joe, butter steamed baby potatoes.  All of this devoured by 10a.m. and before 495W.  Breakfast of foodies. 





Onward and upward we go heading to Great Barrington, MA bordering ever so slightly to New York. What a cute little artsy boho town.  I do have my favorite shops, of course.  T P Saddle Blanket and Hildi B, both on Main Street, have definitely dented my credit card.  My favorite suede fringed wrap comes from P Saddle Blanket Shop. I was very tempted to buy two more yesterday, but the color I was salivating over was missing from the collection.  Probably a good thing because the cost would have emptied my bank account.  Great Barrington maybe that artsy boho town, but costly.  

One type of shop that I normally try to avoid, due to the fact that I have a problem with buying kitchen items, is a kitchen/chef shop.  I love ceramic or porcelain platters.  It's right up there with my boot and winter outerwear problem.  I just can't resist.  With that said, I hesitantly entered into 'The Chef's Shop,' located on Railroad Street.  This shop has been around for 23 years.  Imagine the job security for owner, Rob Navarino's employees. He was truly a pleasure to speak to. In the back of the shop was a cupcake bakery.  Mini cupcakes! All flavors and a select few - stuffed! YUMMY!  It was the cupcake version of donut holes.  Just pop them in your mouth for that immediate sweet fix.  


Rob Navorino - The Chef's Shop

Of course, I bought something!  I am now the proud owner of a truffle colored French Press by Le Creuset.  Probably something I will rarely, if ever, use.  It now sits next to the glass one I brought back from Morocco collecting dust.  

Aside from the artisans, the area is beautiful and quaint. Mountains, rivers, lakes, foliage, farms, vineyards surround the town. There were signs that winter arrived, as well.  Upon entering the northwestern area of MA spots of snow and ice covered areas of the ground. 

Definitely, a good place to visit on the idea of a spur of the moment drive to 'somewhere.'

No comments:

Post a Comment