Monday, December 30, 2013

OLIVES FOR BEGINNERS

2013 has definitely been a year for me and my taste buds.  Being a foodie, in general, has allowed me to savor many flavors of decadence and the unique.  From finding/tasting chocolate everywhere I visit to now eating olives.  Yes, Olives.  

Thirteen years ago, while working in Morocco, I often went to the local markets for food. There was, however, one just outside the city of Rabat resembling "Sam's Club."  It may even have been slightly larger.  In the far back left hand corner of the store lined up in front of the meats and next to the fresh vegetables were several rows [yes, rows] of 20 bins each of the most beautifully colored displayed olives.  Imagine strolling through "Whole Foods" in the prepared food isles.  This was something similar, but each row was 5 times as long all with olives prepared in variations of salads, dressings, stuffed, seasoned and colors. 


Above: Kalmatta; Below: Gorgonzola Stuffed

Of course, there were/are olives sold in the medinas, but this was an amazingly large display of food beauty.  Whether they were black, dark green, light green, yellow-ish, reds, they were all so pretty.  All I could think about was how unfortunate it was that I disliked the taste and smell of olives. [So much as I would gag.] I was probably one of the few on earth that don't enjoy the taste of the divine fruit; that is, until recently.

I started eating olives prepared in a Moroccan tangine.  Lemon Chicken; absolutely to die for.   I have definitely mastered the art of cooking this dish.  The flavor of the olives is a vital ingredient.  In my book this does not exactly count when it comes to eating the actual olives, but it was definitely a beginning. 

Once making the decision to overcome the hesitancy of eating olives, I dove in - cautiously.  I don't know why I thought it would be easier to eat, but I now love olive tapenade.  No idea why, but, I enjoy baguettes with tapenade as an appetizer with dinner.  LOVE!  

Kalmatta olives, for some reason, make it past my taste buds, as well without returning. I still am unable to devour several olives at a time as if eating popcorn. And, I definitely can't stomach eating the plain simple black olives or any stuffed with cheese.  Give me time, but I see a future of olives forever in my refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment