Sunday, January 26, 2014

"MY MOTHER SAYS IT'S CHESTNUT"

The other night I was sitting on a bar stool next to a friend of mine.  The topic of the moment was of balding men.  My friend told me his story when he first was dramatically affected by his gradual hair loss.  

He was in JCPenny [Jacque Pennay] buying a shirt.  In the dressing room there were mirrors enabling you to see yourself from behind.  It was at that moment he caught a glimpse of the back of his head and saw that his hair loss was substantially noticeable.  That was his first horrifying moment of his baldness.  He continued to lose his hair, but that was the defining moment.

He has lost most of his hair and has, of course, accepted it.  What can you do. Of course, there are many avenues that can be taken to compensate for the hair loss, ie, replacement, wigs, plugs, shampoos, blah blah blah.. nothing, although, to permanently grow the hair follicle back to a full luster of locks. Although, research and products tell you otherwise. People spend lots of money to use these products with a glimmer of hope that they work ultimately returning their beautiful locks.  Sadly, it doesn't work that way.

 Thankfully, it's quite trendy and sexy to be completely bald.  I would say the majority of men remove whatever remaining hair is left on their heads to give it that shaved look; or, crop it very tight.  

The only comparison I have on how this feels is that after my pregnancies my thick long hair definitely thinned; particularly in the front; to the point it was coming out in clumps.  I am horrified with this even after 22 years.  I look at pictures of myself when I was younger and miss my thick thick hair.

I remember my friends' hair from our high school days.  My friend had a gorgeous mop and I told him so.  I said, 'you had beautiful hair in high school.'  His response was, "My mother called it, 'Chestnut'."  Even better, she continues to express its once beautiful luster and color of Chestnut when the discussion permits. 

Remember the comb overs, or the 'bozo' style [little excessive].  Times have sure changed.  We are so advanced now to accept baldness as sexiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment