Saturday, January 4, 2014

FUR OR NOT TO FUR

When I was 18 years old, which seems a million years ago, I just stopped eating veal which, coincidentally, used to be my favorite food.  One day, after reading or watching the preparation of veal I simply couldn't bring a bite of veal to my mouth let alone over my gums. Over the past several decades I may have accidentally eaten it twice and one time knowingly. Don't misinterpret, I am not a vegetarian or vegan by any means.  I do enjoy my rib eye steaks [cooked rare or med rare] with mashed or baked potatoes and a glass of cabernet.  

This boycott preceded not wearing fur coats.  Not just seal coats, but all fur coats including rabbit. I couldn't stomach the idea of wearing any fur coat.  Although, I had, at the time, my grandmother's fox stole and white mink collar hanging in my closet for safe keeping. While they weren't being worn, they were hers, and I couldn't possibly get rid of them.  The last picture taken of my grandmother was of she and my grandfather together on a cruise.  She was wearing the white mink collar.  To this day those two pieces hang safely in my closet.

Needless to say, 29 years later [4 years ago], I found myself working in Detroit, Michigan where the weather is freezing cold comparatively speaking, to let's say, North Carolina and southward to Florida.  Anyway, the car companies had either closed or re-organized leaving many individuals and families unemployed.  The women were literally discarding their valuables for small amounts of $ just to be able to help support themselves and their families. 

I found myself searching craigslist for fur coats. I found two that interested me for whatever reason.  I am still dumbfounded as to what changed my mind about the fur trade altogether allowing myself to buy a fur coat; let alone two.  I called each person arranging to see and try on the coats.  The latter of which, was the most difficult.  I nearly cried in their living rooms.  Regardless of the tears and sadness at the thought of the poor animals, I bought a beautiful mink espresso fur coat and a chocolate brown seal coat.  Both are extremely warm and absolutely beautiful.  

Convincing myself to buy the coats was simply that these women were going to get rid of; perhaps, even toss in trash, these beautiful skins of cute little animals. In honor of the animal I bought the coats [for a total of $300]. I have yet to wear the seal coat, but it also hangs safely in my closet along with my grandmother's pieces.  I have worn the mink on several occasions including pick up excursions to the airport while wearing pajama bottoms, the pharmacy, and out on the town three times, tops.  I have to say, they are extremely warm.  

While I don't condone the purchasing of brand new fur coats, I would be hypocritical to not give tacit approval to buy a used coat especially if they are to be tossed disrespectfully to the wayside.  Maybe I am saying this just to further convince myself that it was okay for me to buy and wear the coat/s that peacefully hang in my closet. If someone has interest in wearing or caring for a fur coat then, albeit, then buy, wear, care and bury it in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment