Friday, June 27, 2014

KEEPING IT WEIRD IN AUSTIN

"Keeping It Weird In Austin" is a local motto in Austin, Texas.  As a matter of fact, it's on a banner hanging over the street advertising a 5k scheduled this weekend. I am actually considering running.  Mind you, considering is one thing, participating is a completely different agenda.  Truthfully, I've been running 3-4 times per week in hopes of obtaining/retaining my girlish figure.  However, being surrounded by the amazing food trucks and restaurants, I am finding it quite difficult to show restraint in not indulging.

Last night I even enjoyed a bit of home. 1908.1 miles from RI to Austin I slurped delicious Oysters from RI at trendy little place called, Clarks Oyster Bar, located at 1200 W 6th.  The menu indicated they were shipped in from East Beaches, RI. I'm guessing from Mattunuck.  Not sure, but; perhaps, I should be thanking P for the local flavor. Quite delicious!!!!  I'm tempted to call and find out how they are shipped to insure freshness. They tasted so good as if I farmed them myself.

Sunday last, we ventured to one of the three famous ice cream parlors.  This one; in particular, LICK, is known for it's crazy, offbeat, flavor combinations.  There motto is: Live, Laugh, Lick. Yummy.  After studying the index cards [menu] of each flavor that change almost daily that are tacked to the wall and after tasting four kinds, I chose two scoops; one blackberry, basil and rose with lime and the second was dark chocolate, olive oil and sea salt. Believe it or not, but they were the best flavors I've ever tasted [from the mouth of a choc-o-holic]. I consider myself an ice cream aficionado.  I thought they would be good, but they were better than great.  Each scoop were a perfect golf ball.  Just enough to devour yet not enough to make me have a stomach ache. 
 
As a few more days are passing and filling my stomach with more food, Austin is beginning to slowly grow on me.  If you are into fantastic food flavors and constant partying then this is the place for you.  There never seems to be a lull in the venues around town 24/7.  There are lines for food every night of the week - Sunday-Saturday.  I don't have the stamina, but it's definitely a foodie haven.  [Building a photo essay of food trucks to post soon.]

No comments:

Post a Comment