Sunday, September 15, 2013

DIVA-LICIOUS

DIVA - via Italian from Latin: a goddess, from dīvus divine 

Topic for this morning is Diva.  While I am not surprised by people's behavior in the film industry [which I work], I am sick of their behavior affecting my life 24/7.  Rather than being surprised I am simply annoyed that after 19 years working in this business that people of all walks in life behave like DIVA's and expect to be treated as such. Let me just clarify that the majority of the people in the film industry do NOT behave this way, but the vast amount that do ruin for the rest of us... and, give us something else to talk/complain about like I am doing right now. This is me venting.

Although the dictionary references the word as goddess; trust me it yields to men, as well.   Men are even bigger DIVA's than women.  On my current project there are one of each gender, so far, and we are just at the beginning.

The sense of entitlement that these people feel stems from the conditioning they receive from their co-workers at the very least, but I am certain it's from all of their personal contacts, too.  For whatever reason they assumed their constant demands to be taken care of on various levels of intensity. The mere fact that they think they've 'earned' this is sickening. To watch is even worse.  We are all just trying to earn a paycheck and make a movie together!

Oprah Winfrey had a DIVA Brunch several years ago. The invited guests were all women, of course, who had achieved the highest levels of respect for their talents.  Poets, musicians, writers, politicians, and more.  There were Respected DIVA's as well as up and coming DIVA's.  It was a 3-day weekend at Oprah's house.  For me, these women earned the title of DIVA. This is not to say that these women all had/have the negative mindset and attitudes connected with the term DIVA, but the respect level of the word alone applies in my head since I did not know any of them personally; hence, not allowing me to make that connection.

Now that I think about it I am certain prima donna [in it's negative tone not opera-etic] maybe a more deserving phrase for what I am trying to express since it's a bit more derogatory than the word DIVA as described in the above mentioned paragraph.  So, let's go with that instead.   

Ok.  Done venting [to myself].  Will start the day tomorrow open to the prima donna's and will laugh internally at them with their next list of demands.

Happy Sunday!



No comments:

Post a Comment